WordPress has another layer of security to protect your database. This secret key can be set the wp-config.php file. Here’s an example of WordPress secret key. Of course, please do not use this one.
This secret key makes your site harder to hack and access harder to crack by adding random elements to the password. Therefore, it adds an extra layer of security to your website.
If you think someone had hacked your website, or someone else has stolen your website from a public computer, changing this secret key will invalidate all cookies. Therefore, they will automatically be logged out and need to login again to have access to the dashboard.
To get this secret key, you may use the online generator. To get a new key, simply refresh the page and you’ll get a completely unique secret key.
Here’s another tip. If you login to your dashboard in public or from someone else’s computer, these are good tips to ensure that your website is secure:
1. Use a one-time password to login to your site.
2, Use virtual keyword. This can prevent someone from getting the password by stealing your keystroke.
3. Change the WordPress security key.
4. Connect via Virtual Private Network (VPN) for secure connection to the internet. This also prevents someone from sniffing your connection.
Here’s another great external resources for your own reading:
- Automatically secure your site with keys and salts! – VaultPress.com Blog
- WordPress security key – Digwp.com
- Securing WordPress using Security Keys and Salts – Inmotionhosting.com