Long time ago, I’ve wrote about WordPress Portable and Bitnami – two awesome software to instantly setup my local development sites in seconds. Just few weeks ago, I discovered DesktopServer by ServesPress and really like it and personally prefer to use it instead of the other two.
Features of DesktopServer
- Based on XAMPP
- Includes Apache and MySQL Servers
- Supports Mac and Windows
- Install WordPress in few clicks
- Supports domain name mapping (Ex: mydomain.dev)
DesktopServer is available in two versions, free and premium. The free version is limited to three WordPress installations but the premium version allows you to install unlimited number of WordPress sites and offers few extra features:
- Import BackupBuddy, Duplicator, BackWP Up, BackUp WordPress, InfiniteWP & ManageWP
- Direct Deploy WordPress to Live Server
- Blueprints for Automated WordPress Configurations
- Enhanced Adobe Dreamweaver Live View
- Enhanced Coda2 Preview
- Support for Coda2 AirPreview with Diet Coda
and few more.
Installing WordPress in Your Localhost
Once you’ve done installing the software, installing a new WordPress site in your localhost is just in matter of few seconds. We’ve provided some screenshots of step-by-step to do to install a new WordPress site.