One of the very first things after installing a WordPress site is to configure the Akismet plugin. Every WordPress installation comes with two plugins, Akismet and Hello Dolly. You may want to ignore the Hello Dolly plugin since it’s useless. However, Akismet is one of the must-use plugins for every site to fight spams.
Configuring Akismet is easy. In this tutorial, I’m going to show you how to configure Akismet and use it for free.
When you logged in into the dashboard, you may see a notice in the yellow box on the top part of your dashboard that asks you to configure your Akismet. Click on the link.
- Tick on the two checkboxes.
- Click on the link highlighted as shown in the picture below.
- Sign up with WordPress. If you already have an account, log in.
- Authorize Akismet to connect to WordPress.com.
- Choose the Personal account.
- Fill up the form. On your right side, drag the pointer to the most left. By doing this, you can use Akismet for free of charge. Of course, some donation is highly appreciated.
- Once you’ve completed this sign up the process, you’ll get an email for confirmation, along with the API key. Copy the key and insert it on the same page as shown in the second image above.
Save it and you’re done. I know that this is relatively simple but quite a long process. I’ve seen many clients do not register with Akismet simply because they thought that they have to pay to use it. As I have mentioned above, you can register and use the Akismet API for free but some donation is highly appreciated.