If you use Genesis Framework, you might notice that Genesis comes with few additional widgets, one of them is Feature Post widget. This widget is so powerful and has many options. Take a look at Metro child themes, the homepage is powered by this Feature Post widget (of course, with some additional codes to create the widget layout).
However, one of the restrictions that I found is the inability to show any post from Custom Post Types. I’ve seen many folks asking about how to do display Custom Post Types with Genesis Feature Post widget in the forum and therefore would like to share how to do so.
Thanks to Nick Croft for his great plugin called Genesis Featured Widget Amplified. Once installed, this plugin will replace the default Feature Post widget. Some features of this plugin are:
- Support Custom Post Types
- Support Custom Taxonomies
- Supports Port Formats
- Exclude Term by ID field
- Supports Pagination – Show or hide navigation
- Supports Meta Key Values
- Supports Sorting by Meta Key
- Multiple Hooks and Filters for adding additional content
- Link image to post / Do not link the image to post
- Image placement – Before title, after the title, after content
- … and the features of the default Feature Post widget
I’ve been using this plugin for quite some time for one of my projects and the plugin works great. However, since Custom Post Types is so popular, I hope the default Feature Post widget will support it in future.
Leave a Reply