Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the important factors that determine the successfulness of a website. It usually becomes one of the major sources of traffic, besides any other sources such as social media, content marketing etc.
An SEO-friendly website means Google likes your website.
One of the tips for a better SEO is not having any broken links on your website. Google hates them.
While Google Webmaster Tools is a great tool to provide you with the list of broken links on your website, I found another good way to detect them.
Introducing Broken Link Checker plugin. Here’s the description of the plugin from the plugin’s page:
This plugin will check your posts, comments and other content for broken links and missing images, and notify you if any are found.
1. Install and activate the Broken Link Checker plugin.
2. Go to the settings page to configure the plugin. Settings > Link Checker
3. From the settings page, there are plenty of useful information. You can even let the plugin notify you via email for new broken links found.
4. To see the broken links list, you need to go to Tools > Broken Links.
5. From the Broken Links page, you will see a list of broken links. Simply hover on the links, and you will see few options to choose from. You might want to delete the link, edit it, or even ignore it. Here is an example (just ignore the error Status, that’s probably because the website is in my localhost):
I found this plugin to be very useful for optimizing my homepage SEO. You might not need to activate it all the time, maybe once a month should be fine.
Leave a Reply